PHOTOGRAPHS OF OLD JEKYLL ISLAND

STEELE STUDIO AntiquePix.com G1367 - Faith Chapel, 1910

Jekyll Island, GA one of Georgia’s Golden Isles is rich in history & tradition. It was occupied at various times by Indian tribes, Spanish missionaries, English soldiers & French settlers. The island's most notable history emerged in the 1880s during its era as the winter retreat of some of America's wealthiest industrialists.Jekyll’s first recorded inhabitants were the Guale Indians. The Spanish Missionaries arrived in the late 16th century establishing Santiago de Ocone, the Spanish mission on Jekyll Island. In 1734, when General Oglethorpe passed by Jekyll Island (naming it for his friend Sir Joseph Jekyll) the Indians and Spanish had long since disappeared from the Island.

G1367 - Faith Chapel, 1910

See more Photographs of Old Jekyll Island below. For a complete list of what we currently have available, email us: Antiquepix@aol.com

At this time, William Horton established a thriving plantation on the Island. The plantation was destroyed by the Spanish who crossed the Island in retreat after their defeat at the Battle of Bloody Marsh on St. Simons Island in 1742. Horton rebuilt his home and by 1746 had restored the plantation to its former state. Following Horton’s death the Island was sold at public auction and Christophe Poulain du Bignon acquired full ownership in 1800.

STEELE STUDIO AntiquePix.com G372 - River Road,  Early 1900s

See more Photographs of Old Jekyll Island below. Press on photograph title to see a larger image.

G372 - River Road,  Early 1900s

STEELE STUDIO AntiquePix.com G807 -Club House, Turn of the Century

The du Bignon family raised sea-island cotton on Jekyll Island until the Civil War. After the war, the du Bignons found that it was not practical to continue a cotton plantation without slave labor. By 1886 the du Bignons sold the entire Island to the Jekyll Island Club, to be used as a private hunting retreat. Members of the club included many prominent East Coast millionaires. They built a grand clubhouse and a colony of mansion-size cottages.

G807 -Club House, Turn of the Century

See more Photographs of Old Jekyll Island below. Press on photograph title to see a larger image.

By the early 20th century, Jekyll Island club members were said to represent one-sixth of the world’s wealth. Later generations lost interest and by World War II had left the island. It was sold in 1947 to the state of Georgia for use as a state park. Jekyll Island is now one of Georgia’s major resort areas. It has become a tranquil refuge with it’s pristine beaches, marshes and woodlands and it’s well restored historic district.

STEELE STUDIO AntiquePix.com G867 -Pier at Jekyll Island, Early 1900's

See more Photographs of Old Jekyll Island below. Press on photograph title to see a larger image.

G867 -Pier at Jekyll Island, Early 1900's

STEELE STUDIO AntiquePix.com G1316 - Jekyll Club, 1910

STEELE STUDIO AntiquePix.com G1347 - View from Clubhouse looking North

STEELE STUDIO AntiquePix.com G2511 -Robert E. Lee at Jekyll Island

G1316 - Jekyll Club, 1910

G1347 - View from Clubhouse looking North

G2511 -Robert E. Lee at Jekyll Island

To ORDER 

 

STEELE STUDIO AntiquePix.com G2913 -Lawn Bowling at the Jekyll Club

Price List

 

G2913 -Lawn Bowling at the Jekyll Club

Photographs are available in Black and White or Sepia. Selected images are also available hand tinted. Please contact us at Antiquepix@aol.com to see a list of what we currently have available.

Back to Our Home Page

 

 

(c)2011 DarrelKaiserBooks.com - No advertising or reproduction rights are authorized for any image or any part of this website without permission. All images are sold for only display purposes.   For questions or comments about this web site, send email to: Dar-Bet@att.net  .  Last modified: March 6, 2011 (AL)