PHOTOGRAPHS OF OLD BRUNSWICK

STEELE STUDIO AntiquePix.com G2286 - Launching Liberty Ship, 1940's

Brunswick, GA was laid out in 1771 in the grid style following General Oglethorpe’s plan for Savannah. By the early 1830’s, Brunswick had a courthouse, jail, and about 30 houses and stores. Thomas Butler King of Retreat Plantation on St. Simons Island along with Urbanus Dart and William Davis of Brunswick, formed a company to construct a canal north to the Altamaha River. This canal would connect the natural port with interior plantations. Thomas Butler King also founded the Brunswick and Florida Railroad. The city of Brunswick was incorporated in 1836, the same year the Oglethorpe House hotel was built.

G2286 - Launching Liberty Ship, 1940's

See more Photographs of Old Brunswick below. For a complete list of what we currently have available, email us: Antiquepix@aol.com

In 1838, a newspaper was started, and a bank opened. Glynn Academy employed four teachers and had 85 students. A financial panic in 1837 caused timber and cotton prices to tumble and undermined the progress of the canal and railroad projects. Following a period of depression, the Altamaha-Brunswick Canal opened in 1854, followed by the railroad in 1856.

STEELE STUDIO AntiquePix.com G561 - Oglethorpe Hotel, 1892

See more Photographs of Old Brunswick below. Press on photograph title to see a larger image.

G561 - Oglethorpe Hotel, 1892

STEELE STUDIO AntiquePix.com G2471 - Sign to St. Simons Island

Brunswick also received its second charter in the same year of 1856. By 1860, it had a population of 468, a bank, a weekly newspaper, and a sawmill which employed nine workers. During the Civil War, Confederate troops retreated, burning wharves and the Oglethorpe House to keep them from falling into Union hands. The city was evacuated with most of the citizens fleeing to Waynesville. .

G2471 - Sign to St. Simons Island

See more Photographs of Old Brunswick below. Press on photograph title to see a larger image.

The canal and railroad stopped operation, and Brunswick was abandoned for the third time since it’s founding. After the Civil War, the area endured a period of depression. The 1880’s introduced a new era of prosperity with the lumber, shipping and naval stores industries. It was during this time that many of Brunswick’s many fine commercial & residential structures were built. In 1888, the Oglethorpe Hotel opened its doors, and people arrived in throngs.  

STEELE STUDIO AntiquePix.com G771 - Shrimp Fleets

See more Photographs of Old Brunswick below. Press on photograph title to see a larger image.

G771 - Shrimp Fleet

STEELE STUDIO AntiquePix.com G741 - Hurricane of 1898

In 1898 a powerful hurricane swept through Brunswick damaging many of those fine buildings and devastating crops. During World War I, wooden and concrete ships were built in Brunswick for the war effort. Throughout the Second World War, blimps from Glynco, the largest blimp base in the world, safely escorted 98,000 ships without a single vessel lost to enemy submarines. The J. A. Jones Shipyard was the site of the construction of ninety-nine Liberty ships

G741 - Hurricane of 1898

See more Photographs of Old Brunswick below. Press on photograph title to see a larger image.

Today Brunswick is home to a thriving port. Brunswick's Old Town residential and commercial district is the largest small town, urban National Register of Historic Places district in Georgia. Visitors & residents alike enjoy the charms of Brunswick's oak-lined, moss-draped streets, squares and gracious homes.

STEELE STUDIO AntiquePix.com G888 - Richard Egan in town for filming of "The View from Pompey's Head"

See more Photographs of Old Brunswick below. Press on photograph title to see a larger image.

G888 - Richard Egan in town for filming of "The View from Pompey's Head"

STEELE STUDIO AntiquePix.com G375 - The Deck Restaurant, Sea Island Causeway, 1950's

STEELE STUDIO AntiquePix.com G602 - Glynn County Courthouse, Early 1900's

STEELE STUDIO AntiquePix.com G603 - Glynn Academy

G375 - The Deck Restaurant, Sea Island Causeway, 1950's

G602 - Glynn County Courthouse, Early 1900's

G603 - Glynn Academy

STEELE STUDIO AntiquePix.com G707 - Oak at the corner of Gloucester & Newcastle Streets, 1940's

STEELE STUDIO AntiquePix.com G723 - Liberty Ships at dock, 1940's

STEELE STUDIO AntiquePix.com G743 - Confederate Memorial Day Parade, 1903

G707 - Oak at the corner of Gloucester & Newcastle Streets, 1940's

G723 - Liberty Ships at dock, 1940's

G743 - Confederate Memorial Day Parade, 1903

STEELE STUDIO AntiquePix.com G744 - Glynco

STEELE STUDIO AntiquePix.com G805 - Loading Naval Stores

STEELE STUDIO AntiquePix.com G836 - Glynco, 1961

G744 - Glynco

G805 - Loading Naval Stores

G836 - Glynco, 1961

STEELE STUDIO AntiquePix.com G837 - Glynco

STEELE STUDIO AntiquePix.com G1062 - Hanover Park, Early 1900's

STEELE STUDIO AntiquePix.com G1078 - Lovers Oak, Turn of the Century

G837 - Glynco

G1062 - Hanover Park, Early 1900's

  G1078 - Lovers Oak, Turn of the Century

STEELE STUDIO AntiquePix.com G1161 - Brunswick Fire Department, Turn of the Century

STEELE STUDIO AntiquePix.com G1467 - President & Mrs. McKinley at the Brunswick Railroad Station, 1899

STEELE STUDIO AntiquePix.com G2043 - Newcastle Street, showing fire house & City Hall, Early 1900's

G1161 - Brunswick Fire Department, Turn of the Century

G1467 - President & Mrs. McKinley at the Brunswick Railroad Station, 1899

G2043 - Newcastle Street, showing fire house & City Hall, Early 1900's

Photographs are available in Black and White or Sepia. Selected images are also available hand tinted. Please contact us at Antiquepix@aol.com to see a list of what we currently have available.

To ORDER     Price List

Back to Our Home Page

 

 

(c)2011 DarrelKaiserBooks.com - No advertising or reproduction rights are authorized for any image or any part of this website without permission. All images are sold for only display purposes.   For questions or comments about this web site, send email to: Dar-Bet@att.net  .  Last modified: March 6, 2011.